Volcano Cake for the Science Party

Posted by Mary Grace (MGD) on Tuesday, February 12, 2013.

At the last minute--- serioulsy last minute, Matthew asked for a volcano cake that would have smoke coming out of it for his birthday!  What happened to the ice cream cake he requested??? 

So I went to work with the baking, sculpting, frosting and here is the final product.  I think it turned OK and I was happy that it held up!  For those who know me...know that I am not a baker.  Baking takes a lot of patience which I dont have.  With the help of Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines and a wonderful hubby I was able to make it work!

I used Duncan Hines Yellow Cake and baked it in an Angel Food Cake Pan.
I then used a toilet paper holder and a dixie cup for the dry ice and water.

I baked another yellow cake but this time I used the budnt cake pan.  Inverted it ontop of the other cake and I started shaping it into a cone.  The cup was still in the middle of the cake!

I also make cupcakes and added white frosting and kept a few plain just in case there were some picky eaters.  I made chocolate cupcakes so we would have both chocolate and yellow cake.  For the Volcano cake, I put mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels around the bottom and added candles to the top!


Right before we sang to Matthew, Eric Energy filled the cup up with Dry Ice and warm water1  TADA!!  Smoke and Candles!

No Responses to Volcano Cake for the Science Party

Leave a Reply