Sundays...

Posted by Mary Grace (MGD) on Sunday, August 29, 2010.

One of the things my dad and mom started a long long time ago (ok..I know I am not that old) is having Sunday lunches together. When we were little, we would go to church Sunday morning as a family. Immediately after church, we had Sunday lunch. Then we spent the rest of the day watching movies, reading, finishing homework, playing outside and more. As we got older it did get more difficult to do things together on Sundays- as we started having jobs, going out with friends, we learned how to drive so we wanted to drive around, we had even more homework to do, go to the mall, shop and more. That didn't stop my parents though- they continued to cook a big Sunday lunch and no matter where my sister, brother and I were on a Sunday...it was a silent understanding that our parents were home on a Sunday and had Sunday lunch/dinner for our family. They invited our friends to share the lunch on Sundays, if we were working, they waited for us in the evenings, sat and ate dinner with us. No matter how busy we were during the week with school, work, friends, sports- we always had our family Sundays.


We continue to do this til this day. Some Sundays are a bit crazier then others, we take turns cooking now (my brother graduated from doing take-outs since he now has a wife), and there are some Sundays that we go out and eat. My brother, sister and I know that as our children grow up they will be running around with friends, working, sports and more. But on Sundays, no matter how busy we are, we try to still have our Sundays as much as we can- we cook, we eat, we talk, we laugh and we are together. Every day is so busy for us- rushing to school, work, rushing play time, quick dinners and errands. Sundays I get to breathe even if its just for a few hours. Sundays we let the children play lazily, play all day, eat a big breakfast. I hope that as our children get older, as their lives get busier they know that Sundays are the days we come together, eat, laugh, talk and be together. You make your Sunday how you wish it to be.

No Responses to Sundays...

Leave a Reply